Well this is big news! Seravy has done a deal with Slitherine (the new MoM license holder working on a new MoM game) and Caster of Magic is now a buyable ‘officially approved’ Master of Magic addon on Steam & GoG! Naturally Seravy has promised to continue doing more amazing improvements to the mod now that he’s receiving financial reward for his hard work. Caster of Magic is already amazing enough as it changes & improves MoM so much but my god if he ever finds a way to exceed the 4 enemy player limit I’ll have his baby lol!
The only downside is all previous copies of CoM have been wiped! Don’t think I’ve grabbed a copy since 5.6, which must have been a while back as he’s now up to 6.0 lol!
EDIT: Sure enough here they are! They’ve gone live!
I just realised.. Master of Magic wasn’t even on steam until now.. they’re doing a joint release of both MoM & CoM on steam! Wow!
Time for another Master of Magic post! Now that it appears we’ve got an official Master of Magic sequel or Remake on way (courtesy of Slitherine who’ve bought the rights from Atari’s IP dungeon and made the announcement on their site) I’ve been thinking about how after all these years many of the old MoM communities have vanished and a lot of good fan ‘Wish lists’ have been long lost.
They’re probably still in the early days of development so now is the time to get fan feature requests and wish list items in front of their faces. If the remaining fan base doesn’t speak up now then god knows what sort of game we’ll end up with. So now is the time to act!
I’ve made wishlist request threads in the various pockets of MoM fan forums plus the Master of Magic Facebook Group and figured I’d better post about it here too! I’ve been copying all responses (minus the arguments, moaning & slitherine bashing lol) into a wishlish thread over at the Slitherine forums. If you have a wish list then please post here or over at Slitherine.
I of course also gave them a copy of my own personal wish list below:
• BIG ONE – More than 4 enemy players. Implode’s MoM HD Multiplayer Remake allowed EVERY wizard in one game for super 14 player games which would have bee EPIC and so much fun had he finished the project.
• Larger maps (Insectiside fan patch added huge map size to the original)
• Limited Spying (most fantasy rpgs have thieves/rogues so it fits and stealing spells would be fun)
• Time limit and bigger cost on time stop spell (if you’re planning on having that annoying spell again)
• Demand or give cities in Diplomacy (most 4x games have this now and I like using it to play god/peacekeep and save bullied Civs and minor factions from deaths door)
• Expand Grey Neutral Faction into lots of minor factions with identities and race affiliations (eg a minor Elven race with a minor elf wizard that likes Elven main civs and makes trouble for others.. this is another thing done in modern 4x fantasy and space games)
• More worlds and/or an underground world (although this has already been done before in AoW, HoMM & Warlock series)
• More ocean content eg HoMM series filled oceans with shipwreck lairs and treasures (even Morrowind had underwater caves filled with creatures and treasure so this is not new to fantasy games). You could even have a Merfolk faction with cities in the ocean. The fun Fantasy and Midgard scenarios for Civilization 2 Test of Time had a good underwater Merfolk faction with lots of sea based units/creatures.
• Not essential but some cool weather effects would be a fun immersion factor (especially as you can tie spells into them for gameplay events such as huge storms and earthquakes etc). The Official Playstation remake of Master of Magic has clouds rolling over and some cool weather effects from spells. The new Civ6 addon Gathering Storm is another good example of world changing weather effects.
• Talk to Seravy, he’s da man on all things MoM and the creator of the super popular MoM overhaul mod Caster of Magic )